Common Toxins in Nail Polish

Traditional nail polishes bring with them a few toxins that can not only damage your nails. But they can damage your overall health as well. These nail polish toxins are extremely harmful to those who use them on a regular basis, or have to deal with them for work. To help you understand the matter better, we have listed down the top fiver common toxins found in nail polish, and why they are used in nail polish. 

  • Dibutyl Phthalate - also known as DBP, comes from the phthalate family, and is used in most traditional nail polished to help reduce chipping. The DBP toxins are known as endocrine disruptors, as they mimic the estrogen level in a human body. These toxins are known to impair your hormonal development of male fetuses, early menopause and cause organ damage. There are no human studies done using DBP. However, animal studies have shown dangerous results. Which include but are not limited to decrease in fertility, bio-accumulation, hormonal disruption, and even liver damage.

  • Toluene - it is used in traditional nail polishes so they can offer a smooth application process. The Toluene offers a sweet smell, and is also found in many nail polish removers. The fumes that come from toluene are highly toxic. According to studies, continuous exposure to toluene can cause severe neurological damage, impaired breathing, decreased brain function, nausea, and hearing loss.

  • Formaldehyde - is added to traditional nail polishes so they can harden, and strengthen their hold on your nails. Formaldehyde is naturally created by the human body at an extremely low level which is not dangerous. However, excessive use of formaldehyde can cause throat, blood, and nose cancer. People who work with traditional nail polishes are at the risk of miscarriage, nausea, asthma, and convulsions. If you keep exposing yourself to formaldehyde, it will start to build up in your lungs.

  • Formaldehyde Resin - is a byproduct of Formaldehyde, and helps make traditional nail polish more firm. These Formaldehyde resins find their way into traditional nail polishes that contain Formaldehyde. There are only a number of human tests done when Formaldehyde Resin is concerned. However, studies have shown that it can cause skin irritation, skin depigmentation, allergic reactions, and loss of nerve sensation.

  • Camphor - is used in traditional nail polishes to help them give the glossy look. So they next time you see shiny nail color, you should know that it is full of toxins. However, camphor is less toxic than other mentioned above. That being said, camphor is at times used in vapor rubs, and nasal sprays to help fight cold. However, camphor has a triggered a number of allergic reactions along with skin irritations recently, which has lead to the question of it's safety in beauty products. If you inhale the fumes of camphor, then you might experience headaches, dizziness, and nausea. There are a number of studies that suggest that camphor can cause organ damage, and should not be allowed in beauty or health products.

NadiaGel products are free from these nasty toxins. Our goal is to provide high quality product to the customers. Visit our website at https://www.nadiagel.com to browse our most unique colors in the world.